This is the website privacy and security statement for BlueCross BlueShield of Western New York and its affiliated companies (collectively “Amerigroup”), effective (November 1, 2016).
How to Contact Us
We can be reached via email at firstname.lastname@example.org or you can reach us by calling the number on the back of your ID card.
Our mailing address is:
Medicaid Privacy Team
4425 Corporation Lane
Virginia Beach, VA 23462
Personal Information and Privacy
For each visitor to our website, our web server automatically recognizes only the consumer's domain name, but not the email address (where possible).
We collect the email addresses of those who communicate with us via email; aggregate information on what pages consumers access or visit; user-specific information on what pages consumers access or visit; information volunteered by the consumer such as survey information and/or site registrations, name and address, telephone number; and member- or provider-specific identifiers such as member or provider ID, TIN, etc.
The information we collect is used to customize the content and/or layout of our page for each individual visitor. It is also used to notify consumers about updates to our website, and is shared only with agents or contractors to assist in providing support for our internal operations.
The information is disclosed when we are legally required to do so at the request of governmental authorities conducting an investigation to verify or enforce compliance with the policies governing our website and applicable laws, or to protect against misuse or unauthorized use of our website. The information also may be provided to a successor entity in connection with a corporate merger, consolidation, sale of assets, or other corporate change respecting the website.
Upon request, we provide site visitors with access to 1) financial information (e.g., provider claims payment status) that we maintain about them, 2) transaction information (e.g., dates on which claims are submitted or paid) that we maintain about them, and 3) contact information (e.g., name, address, phone number) that we maintain about them. Consumers can access this information and can have this information corrected by calling us at the number on the back of their ID card or by visiting us at www.bcbswny.com/stateplans.
Ad Server Companies
We do not partner with or have special relationships with any ad server companies.
When we transfer and receive certain types of sensitive information such as financial or health information, we redirect visitors to a secure server. We have appropriate privacy and security measures in place in our physical facilities to protect against the loss, misuse or alteration of information that we have collected from you at our site, and we utilize 128-bit SSL encryption for transfer of secure information.
Changes to This Policy
From time to time, we may use customer information for new, unanticipated uses not previously disclosed in this privacy notice. If our information practices change at some time in the future, we will post the policy changes to our website to notify you of these changes. We will use for these new purposes only data collected from the time of the policy change forward. If you are concerned about how your information is used, you should check back on our website periodically.
If you feel that this site is not following its stated information policy, you may contact us at the above addresses or telephone number.
Our Pledge to BlueCross BlueShield Members
No one is treated in a different way because of race, color, birthplace, language, sex, age or disability. If you think you've been treated unfairly, please call the number on the back of your ID card.
Interpretation and translation services are free to members.
We take your privacy very seriously
The Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA) requires BlueCross BlueShield to tell our members how medical information may be used or disclosed. Every three years, we must remind our members about this notice and tell them how to access it.
BlueCross BlueShield members get a copy of this notice in their new member welcome package when they enroll in BlueCross BlueShield. Members can get a copy of the notice through Member Services.
- BlueCross BlueShield of Western New York – English
- BlueCross BlueShield of Western New York – Spanish
This notice will explain how BlueCross BlueShield privacy practices affect members’ medical information.
This notice will tell you:
- How BlueCross BlueShield handles members’ protected health information
- How BlueCross BlueShield uses and gives out members’ protected health information
- Members’ rights about their protected health information
- BlueCross BlueShield’s responsibilities to protect members’ health information
IngenioRx Notice of Privacy Practices:
- IngenioRx Specialty Pharmacy – English
- IngenioRx Specialty Pharmacy – Spanish
- IngenioRx Home Delivery Pharmacy – English
- IngenioRx Home Delivery Pharmacy – Spanish
Informed members make better health care choices
Our goal is to help you access quality safety data for our network hospitals. Click on the links below for more information:
- Joint Commission International Center for Patient Safety
- Joint Commission Quality Check
- U.S. Department of Health and Human Services
When you need care at a hospital or are in your doctor’s office, follow these simple tips:
- Ask questions about your condition and care
- Speak up if you don’t understand something, are not comfortable with your treatment or if you have any concerns
- Remind providers’ office staff if you have any allergies or reactions to medicines
- Request an interpreter if you need one or assistance if you have a hearing impairment
- Keep a list of all the medicines you take and give it to your provider
- Remind nurses, physicians or therapists to wash their hands and wear gloves before examining you or drawing your blood
- Ask for a copy of your test results
Your safety matters. It’s good to ask questions to make sure you understand EVERYTHING. It will help increase the safety of the care you get.