Child Health Plus
We’ve served Highmark Blue Cross Blue Shield of Western New York members with Child Health Plus benefits since 1936. Your health is our purpose. We can help your child get and stay healthy.
New to Highmark BCBSWNY??
As a new member, we know you have questions. We also know you’re short on time! Learn the basics about your health plan on the New Member Welcome page.
Your child can get well-checkups, immunizations, vision care, dental care and more with Highmark BCBSWNY.
Get benefits like:
- Prescription drug coverage and over-the-counter medicines
- Specialist care, X-rays and lab tests
- Emergency hospital visits and inpatient hospital, medical and surgical care
When you need a referral:
For some services, you’ll need a referral from your primary care provider (PCP) before getting care. You’ll need to see your PCP before:
- Going to a hospital for nonemergency care.
- Getting medicine your PCP can’t give you.
Get these services from us without a referral:
For most services, you’ll go to your PCP or another doctor in your plan. We’ll pay for some services you get from a doctor who isn’t in your plan, including:
- Family planning
- Pregnancy services
- Emergency services
- School-based health center services
- Adult dental care (ages 21 and over)
- Behavioral health and substance abuse disorder services
- Certain doctors for children with special health care needs
We’ll also pay for the lab work and medicine related to this service:
- Adult vision care (age 21 and over)
You should not be charged for your child’s personal protective equipment
You do not have to pay doctors in your child’s plan network for personal protective equipment, like masks, gloves, or gowns required during visits. If you have paid these charges, you should contact the doctor for a refund. If you would like to submit a complaint to us about charges for any personal protective equipment from a doctor in your child’s network, please contact Member Services at 866-231-0847 (TTY 711).
Frequently asked questions
How do I get help after my child’s primary care provider’s (PCP’s) office closes?
Unless it’s a life-threatening emergency, do not go to the emergency room (ER). Instead, call our 24/7 NurseLine at 1-866-231-0847 (TTY 711) to talk to a nurse any time, day or night. Our nurses can answer questions about your health or help you find an urgent care facility near you.
Can I call my child’s specialist’s office directly to set up an appointment?
Your PCP will refer your child to a specialist. If your child needs specialist services that your child can’t get from a Highmark BCBSWNY plan doctor, we’ll work with your child’s PCP to refer him or her to an out-of-plan specialist. Your child’s PCP must call Highmark BCBSWNY at 1-866-231-0847 (TTY 711) to request approval for an out-of-plan referral.
My child’s plan has dental benefits. How do we choose a dentist?
If you need to find a dentist for your child, please call Liberty Dental toll free at 1-833-276-0846 (TTY 1-877-855-8039) Monday through Friday from 8 a.m. to 8 p.m. Eastern time. You can also call Member Services at 1-866-231-0847 (TTY 711). When your child visits the dentist, you should show your child’s plan ID card.
How do I get a copy of the Highmark BCBSWNY provider directory?
Please call Member Services at 1-866-231-0847 (TTY 711) and request one. You can also view our provider directory online.
How do we see a doctor who is not a Highmark BCBSWNY plan doctor?
Please call Member Services at 1-866-231-0847 (TTY 711) Monday through Friday from 8:30 a.m. to 6 p.m. with questions.
Get what you need to live your healthiest life. As a Highmark BCBSWNY member, you get extra benefits, called value-added benefits, like:
- Free diapers after completing six prenatal visits, or after your baby completes a newborn checkup.
- A car seat or portable crib for pregnant members who complete six prenatal visits.
- Free dental hygiene kits for members ages 13-18 years.
- A stroller for new moms who complete a postpartum checkup within 7-82 days.
- $20 Uber gift card for going to healthcare visits and other places in the community.
Limitations and restrictions apply. Benefits may change.
You can redeem some benefits online through your secure account. View the extra benefits you’re eligible for on the Benefit Reward Hub or call Member Services at 866-231-0847 (TTY 711) Monday through Friday, 8:30 a.m. to 6 p.m. Eastern time.
Log in to your secure account to get started today!Log in
Your pharmacy benefits
Your benefits include a wide range of prescription and over-the-counter (OTC) drugs. We work with IngenioRx to provide these benefits. There are no copays for covered drugs.
Visit the pharmacy page to find a pharmacy near you and check if your medicine is on the Preferred Drug List (PDL).Go to Pharmacy page
Highmark BCBSWNY offers the New York State-sponsored Child Health Plus program. We can help you get the most out of your Child Health Plus benefits so you can help your family get and stay healthy.
Your child may be eligible for Child Health Plus if your child:
- Is under the age of 19.
- Is not eligible for Medicaid.
- Has little or no other health insurance coverage.
- Lives in one of the following counties: Allegany, Cattaraugus, Chautauqua, Erie, Genesee, Niagara, Orleans, or Wyoming.
A child does not have to be a U.S. citizen or legal resident to qualify for Child Health Plus. Participation in this program will not affect any future immigration status.
To find out more about eligibility, visit the New York Child Health Plus website.
Already a member and have questions?
Please call Member Services at 1-866-231-0847 (TTY 711) Monday – Friday from 8:30 a.m. – 6 p.m. Eastern time.
Your member handbook is your go-to guide for health services. It tells you how you can get the most from Highmark BCBSWNY. You’ll find answers to these items:
- Your benefits
- Your rights and responsibilities.
- How to get helpt after your doctor's office closes
- How to choose a primary care provider
- Renewing your coverage
- How to reach Member Services if you have a question
Notice of Privacy Practices
Earn Rewards for Healthy Activities
Healthy Rewards is a no-cost, optional program for eligible members enrolled in our health plan. The program encourages members to seek the care they need to improve their health and create a healthy lifestyle.
Members can redeem these Healthy Rewards through the Benefit Reward Hub
- $25 for pregnant members who go to a prenatal visit in their first trimester, or within 42 days of joining our plan
- $25 for a postpartum visit within 7-84 days of delivering their baby
- $25 for metabolic testing for members using antipsychotic medication
- Up to $40 for asthma medication management
- $25 for diabetic A1c screening for members taking antipsychotic medication
- $35 for childhood immunizations
- $35 for HPV vaccination
- $5 for vaccination importance quiz
- $25 for colorectal cancer screening
- $25 for following up with their doctor after a behavioral health hospitalization discharge
- $25 for a diabetic retinal eye exam
- $10 for a diabetic A1c screening
- $5 for diabetic management quiz
Log in to the Benefit Reward Hub, to redeem your Healthy Rewards. You can also call the Healthy Rewards Customer Service Line at 888-990-8681 (TTY 711) Monday through Friday, 9 a.m. to 8 p.m. Eastern time.View the extra benefits you are eligible for on the Benefit Reward Hubor call Member Services at 866-231-0847 (TTY 711) Monday through Friday, 8:30 a.m. to 6 p.m. Eastern time. To begin earning rewards, log in to your secure account.
Log in to
Benefit Reward Hub
LiveHealth Online allows you to visit a doctor through live video chat on your computer, tablet or smartphone. It’s an easy way to get care for you or your family at any time, day or night, without leaving your home.
As a Highmark BCBSWNY member, you can use LiveHealth Online at no cost to you.
Sign up today so you can:
- See a doctor in minutes: Use LiveHealth Online to get help when you have a common health problem like a cold, the flu, fever, pink eye, sore throat, sinus infection and more!
- Get prescriptions sent to your pharmacy if needed.*
- Make an appointment with a Spanish speaking doctor: Speak to a doctor in your own language seven days a week through Cuidado Médico on LiveHealth Online.
It’s easy to get started. Sign up for free on the LiveHealth Online website or download the app:
*Prescription availability is defined by physician judgment.
LiveHealth Online is the trade name of Health Management Corporation, a separate company providing telehealth services on behalf of Highmark Blue Cross Blue Shield of Western New York.