[Skip to Banner] [Skip to Header] [Skip to Content] [Skip to Footer]

Health and Recovery Plan (HARP)

HARP is the Highmark Blue Cross Blue Shield of Western New York Health and Recovery Plan. Medicaid members may receive extra care for behavioral health needs, including mental health illness and substance use treatment services with HARP.

You may be eligible for HARP through Highmark BCBSWNY if you:

  • Are age 21 or older
  • Live in Allegany, Cattaraugus, Chautauqua, Erie, Genesee, Niagara, Orleans, or Wyoming County
  • Are enrolled in Medicaid
  • Have been diagnosed with serious mental illness or substance use disorder

Behavioral health care includes mental health illness and substance use treatment support. You have access to services that can improve your emotional health. You can also receive help with alcohol or other substance use issues.

Behavioral Health Home and Community Based Services (BH HCBS)

As a member of Highmark BCBSWNY HARP, you qualify for Behavioral Health Home and Community Based Services, including support for you to reach your health goals. These services can help you avoid hospital stays and continue to live within your community. You can reach goals for jobs, school or other areas of your life, like:

  • Finding housing
  • Living on your own
  • Finding a job
  • Returning to school
  • Managing stress
  • Preventing crises

Health Home Care Management

You may team up with a care manager who will make sure you have the medical, behavioral health and social services you need. They can help you make appointments, find housing and food assistance.

For more information, call 866-231-0847 (TTY 711) and ask to speak with a care manager.

There are no copays for covered services. See your member handbook for a full list of benefits in your plan.

Member Services

If you have any questions, call Member Services at 866-231-0847 (TTY 711). Our team is available Monday through Friday from 8:30 a.m. to 6 p.m. You can also log in to your account to send us a message at any time.

Send us a message

24/7 NurseLine

Whether it’s 3 a.m. or a Sunday afternoon, health issues come up. That’s why you can always call our 24/7 NurseLine and speak directly to a nurse. Call 866-231-0847 (TTY 711) anytime, day or night.

Your pharmacy benefits

  • Your prescriptions will not be covered by Highmark BCBSNWY. They will be covered by the NYRx Medicaid pharmacy program.  You will need to show your pharmacist either your Medicaid Card or your Highmark BCBSWNY ID card. Either card will give the pharmacy your Medicaid Client Identification Number (CIN). 
  • Most pharmacies in New York take NYRx. Check health.ny.gov/NYRx to see if your pharmacy does.
  • Most drugs and supplies, including diabetic test strips, are covered by NYRx. Check health.ny.gov/NYRx to see if your drugs and supplies are covered, or if they require approval from your doctor.
  • To contact someone for help about your Medicaid pharmacy benefits, contact the NYRx Medicaid Helpline at: 855-648-1909 (TTY 1-800-662-1220).  The Helpline Hours are Mon-Fri 8AM-8PM, and Sat 9AM-1PM.

Your health is important to us. That’s why you receive important care and services like:

  • A primary care provider (PCP) to help you receive the care you need
  • Wellness visits and immunizations
  • Specialty physician services
  • Substance use treatment
  • Psychiatric services
  • Disease management for asthma, diabetes and more
  • Smoking cessation
  • Coping, crisis prevention, stress management, and life skills training
  • Family support training

Frequently asked questions

How do I find help after my primary care provider’s (PCP) office closes?

Unless it’s a life-threatening emergency, do not go to the emergency room (ER). Instead, call the 24/7 NurseLine at 866-231-0847 (TTY 711) to talk to a nurse any time, day or night. Our nurses can answer questions about your health or help you find an urgent care facility near you.

Can I call my specialist’s office directly to set up an appointment?

Your PCP will refer you to a specialist. If you need specialist services you can’t receive from a Highmark BCBSWNY plan doctor, we’ll work with your PCP to refer you to an out-of-plan specialist. Your PCP must call Highmark BCBSWNY at 866-231-0847 (TTY 711) to request approval for an out-of-plan referral.

My plan has dental benefits. How do I choose a dentist?

If you need to find a dentist, please call Liberty Dental toll free at 833-276-0846 (TTY 877-855-8039) Monday through Friday from 8 a.m. to 8 p.m. You can also call Member Services at 866-231-0847 (TTY 711). When you visit your dentist, you should show your plan ID card.

How do I receive a copy of the Highmark BCBSWNY provider directory?

Please call Member Services at 866-231-0847 (TTY 711) and request one. You can also view our provider directory online.

How do I see a doctor who is not a Highmark BCBSWNY plan doctor?

Please call Member Services at 866-231-0847 (TTY 711) Monday through Friday from 8:30 a.m. to 6 p.m. with questions.

Enroll in Highmark BCBSWNY

Can I call my specialist’s office directly to set up an appointment?

You need a referral from your PCP to see a specialist. Learn more about how to receive specialty care and referrals.

Your member handbook is your go-to guide for health services. You’ll find answers to these items:

  • Your benefits
  • Your rights and responsibilities
  • How to find help after your doctor's office closes
  • How to choose a primary care provider
  • How to reach Member Services if you have a question

Member handbooks

Notice of Privacy Practices